Saturday, May 14, 2016

recently read

I know I've mentioned before that my school has a reading challenge goal (for students and teachers), which I find pretty awesome. While I've tried to read 30 books this year to reach my goal, it's been more of 100 pages of a book equals one (don't worry- I checked with school and this is totally acceptable and I let my kids do the same thing).

 I love reading, so even when this hasn't been a "school" goal, it's always a personal one.
 And since I'm also in a book club, I often am reading books that aren't typically what I would read (and usually end up loving them). 

So this year I've read a lot of amazing books that I have to recommend, because they are just that awesome. 
Prepare yourself!


Three Blind Mice by Agatha Christie
I had a goal once (bucket list- I guess it's still on there) to read every Agatha Christie book. I think I shou;d have looked at how many books the woman actually wrote before I made that goal. BUT I do love her books. This one was short, but good.


Library of Souls (3rd of the series) by Ransom Riggs
When I read the first book of this series I wasn't really impressed, but then the second one came out and I was hooked. The third was amazing too (and now it's a movie!!) I think my appeal for this series is mainly that it's so different from anything else I've ever read. I like the uniqueness. So glad my book club picked this series


One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie
Another Agatha Christie book. Man this lady knows how to write a good mystery book. Love!


Nemesis by Agatha Christie 
Great read. What more can I say?


Trash by Andy Mulligan
Apparently this book was also turned into a movie. I wasn't the biggest fan, but it was an interesting read (a unique idea- even if it was based off an incredibly sad one).


The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty
I read The Husband's Secret by Moriarty previously (another book club book) and I really enjoyed it. I was torn between this one and a few others of her, but my friend Kelly and I decided this one looked the most interesting. It seemed like an interesting plot, but the back cover gives it all away for the most part. Still- she's a great writer and I can't wait to read her others,


The Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress by Ariel Lawhon
Okay, so I saw this one in Barnes and Noble for super cheap and thought it looked intriguing. I actually ended up falling in love with it. I was sad when it ended. Plus, it was also about a real life event (about the disappearance of Judge Crater in the 20's). Awesome read.


....And the Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer
Another book club book and one of the longest books ever written. While it took a bit of time to get into it (I'm not the biggest fan of politics, especially Civil War time politics) it ended up being a really good read. Having read Gone With the Wind, I liked getting Midwestern point of views of the Civil War.


Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
So, I picked this book for book club. While it wasn't as funny as her first book (in my opinion) I still liked it. Jenny Lawson is hysterical and I wish I could meet her in real life. I seriously want to be her best friend.


A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseni
A great read by a great author. I laughed, I cried (a lot) and I was sad when it ended. I felt so emotionally invested in the story and the characters' lives. If you haven't read this or Hosseni's other book, Kite Runner, you have to!


Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett
I've read other books by Follett, but I think this one is my favorite. Let me also state that I love World War II books, so this book was right up my alley. It also had a touch of mystery and was based on the invasion of Normandy (and the British trying to hide their efforts and plans of invasion from Germany). I really liked this book- I couldn't put it down.


The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson
So this book (which is going to be a movie I believe) is based off of the movie (and formerly book) Strangers on a Train (Alfred Hitchcock). I loved this book- it's so full of twists and turns, even up until the last line!!!!


What are you reading??? I need more suggestions until the next book club pick!!!
xoxo, kel

No comments:

Post a Comment