Friday, January 31, 2020

January 2020 reads

For 2019 my goal was to read 100 books.... I think I got to the mid 60's. 
So this year, I am determined to read 100. 

I've also joined some awesome facebook reading groups- Silent Book Club, PBS Reads, and a private 202 Reading Challenge group that a friend invited me to. Each one has great discussion, great ideas, and even ways of tracking books.  So let's just say that my "to be read" pile has increased expediently!! 

January reads and how I rated them: 

( I actually picked this for our Ashes' Book Club- our family Tea Room's book club which meets every 3 months). 
Okay so I enjoyed reading this story, but it also brought back painful memories of when my dad left my mom so it was hard to get through. Luckily it had humorous parts and was relatively short. 


(This was a book club pick for my friends book club group, but I was behind on reading it. I do plan to read the whole series this year). 
A classic. I cannot believe I haven't read this sooner. And of course the ending made me cry. 

I've had this book waiting to be read for awhile. Maybe if I had read it earlier I would've liked it better, but for where I am now I just didn't enjoy it. It wasn't consistent in its point and I didn't agree with a lot of what I read. *

Galatians.... Edited by James Merritt ***
To be fair, I was co-leading a Bible Study group with my mother-in-law on Galatians the last couple of weeks, so I used these books as resources. The book by Mr. Epp was actually my grandmother's and her handwriting is in it, which made it even more special. I learned a lot from each of these books though and loved all three. 

Absolutely loved this book. Austin and I have been married 3 and 1/2 years and I feel like this book taught me so much. It is written by husband and wife in such an honest fashion that it could be read by long term spouses to just married spouses, to engaged or dating couples, and even singles. I definitely recommend this book!

One Day in December by Josie Silver ***
I finally read this book after my friend Kelly told me that while yes it was chick lit, it had a different ending than you would think. I liked that it was original and not like every other girl falls for boy story, but I'm still not the biggest fan of romance novels...

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri ****
Another recommendation by my friend Kelly (she really does pick good ones). It was beautifully written and I enjoyed learning more about Indian culture, especially this family's transition from India to America.

The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis ***
I'm really enjoying this series (more than I thought I would).

The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine ****
This was a book club pick and I am so glad it was chosen. It was such a great and interesting read. I could not put it down!!!!

Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie ***
Another great Agatha Christie read and twist. I don't even try to guess the murderer anymore... I never come anywhere close, but I love that about her books! 

No comments:

Post a Comment