Wednesday, January 15, 2020

a year of habits/ Weeks 3-7

The good and hard thing about starting something so big in December is that sometimes the holidays take over more than I mean for them to.  Christmas and New Years is an incredibly busy time with retail and the tea room (which is the opposite in teaching).  Then New Years Eve I got super sick and it took awhile to get back to normal.

With that being said, I haven't done as well as I wanted with these habits, but at the same time I've also discovered which ones I want to be daily habits, which work better as a weekly or monthly habit, and which are just an occasional habit I want to make time for.


So here's how things have been looking so far....
Praying before every meal is something I want to do daily.
Confession is something I want to end my day with every night.

Meditation and Study are things that I want to incorporate into my week, but not necessarily every day.
Sabbath Rest and Silence can actually be a part of all of these other disciplines, so they won't stay on my habit list as is for the month of February. 

Then there is fasting..... So I did decide to try a three hour fast (basically 10pm I cut myself off from eating until I fell asleep. But the big thing with fasting is that it is not to be done lightly. The more I talked to people and the more I read, I realized that in giving up food- yes I am saying God is all I need, even more than food and He will provide for me and keep me going. But it also needs to be a time where I am grieving or burdened by something in relation to God's kingdom on earth and right now I just don't feel that pull on my heart. So instead of practicing this discipline right now, I'm just trying to learn more about it. 

Overall I am really enjoying this habit practice. I've not only learned a lot, but I feel like I have grown so much closer to God in this experience. It's taught me that I am incapable of so many things and I really do need to rely on Him for every single thing. 
I may not be the best at keeping up with these habits, but I am tracking them and reflecting on them every week. 

xo, kel

No comments:

Post a Comment