Tuesday, March 3, 2020

February Reads

This past month saw more reading than watching tv for me. I'm just hoping it lasts.

In total, I read 14 books in February!! WHAT?!?

1. 9 Perfect Strangers by Laine Moriatry ****
I started this book because it is going to be made into a movie this year (and that was one of the book challenges for the group I'm in). I enjoyed it, although towards the end I did kind of feel like it got a little too crazy and unbelievable. I also wish that they did a little better character development for the main "crazy" woman character. But overall, it was a page turner and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to catch it in the theaters. 


2. The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine (which is a pen name for 2 sisters) ****
This was a book club read and I really enjoyed it!!! It was definitely a page turner and wasn't what I was expecting, which is nice. Sometimes I feel like some books can all become too similar. The ending was a little too happily ever after, could it have really worked out that way? But I don't care, it made me happy!


3. Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan **
So yes, essentially this book is about a bookstore, but it also is part mystery (which I liked). What I didn't like what how much technology talk there was. I don't know code, I don't understand what certain technological things are and so often times I felt lost while reading this.


4. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han *****
Yes, that's right 5 stars! Would I have thought that if I hadn't of seen the movie first? Maybe not. But I loved this story and I love, love, love Lara Jean Song Covey. And Peter. It's the cutest high School love story I've read in a long, long time. 


5. The Witch's Kind by Louisa Morgan ***
Another book club book. The description made this book sound like it was going to be a lot like the Sandra Bullock movie, Practical Magic. Luckily, it was nothing like it. Some parts were drawn out for me, but overall I felt like it was a new and interesting read- it didn't remind me of anything I had read before, which always is a plus for me. 


6. Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi ***
So I actually listened to this book. And it took me 4 months. I realized that I could only get 1-2 chapters in while I drove to work and try as I may, I just cannot listen to reading anywhere else. Not my thing. But at least I tried. As for the book, it was the 2nd of a trilogy and I really liked how the author wrote both parts 1 and 2 (this one). It's a bit magical and has African roots. I can't wait for the third!


7. The Prodigal Prophet.... by Timothy Keller ****
Nonfiction Christian book and I loved it. I've become a really big fan of Keller's books. This one is mainly about Jonah (you know, the one that was swallowed by a whale in the Bible?) and how he shows both sons from the Prodigal Son Bible story. It was thought provoking and had me digging into my Bible. Definitely recommend it!


8. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng ****
Another book that is going to be made into a movie this year! I wasn't sure where this book was going (and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much). It tells the story of 2 families and how their worlds and lives intertwine. You also won't see the end coming!


9. PS I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before) #2 by Jenny Han ****
Since the second movie was coming out, I had to read this book before it did. It had some aspects that were different from the movie, but it was still cute. A little bit more "cutesy" and cheesy than the first book though, which is why I really liked it, but not as much as the first. I also hate to admit this, but I preferred the second movie to the second book. EK!


10. Always and Forever (To All the Boys I've Loved Before) #3 by Jenny Han****
The last (sniff, sniff) installment of the series. I wasn't sure how it was going to end (or where in regards to time). Overall, I liked it, but I REALLY want to know what happens in college!!!!!!


11. The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer ****
Two main characters from two different countries and time periods, but connected because they are family. One character lives in Poland and her story takes place as WWII begins and the Nazis invade her country while she is just a teenager. The other main character is an adult woman in recent times with two children, one being severely on the autism spectrum. I enjoyed both stories and how they merged. I feel like it had a different take than other WWII books I've read and I honestly didn't see it working out the way it did. The end had me gushing tears, but I loved this beautiful story. 


12. A Beautiful Day in The Neighborhood, Poems by Fred Rogers a/k/a Mr. Rogers **1/2
Okay, so let me preface this with I am NOT a poetry person. I hate poetry. However, another book challenge from the group I'm in had "read a book of poems", so I picked this one. I loved Mr. Rogers as a kid (much to my mom's distain). The Tom Hanks movie has also recently come out (which I have yet to see). So in knowing I needed a book of poetry, but not looking forward to finding one, when someone recommended this book I jumped at it. While it is definitely made for little kids, it was adorable and fun and I feel like is something I will one day read to my kiddos. 


13. James by John MacArthur ***
I've been trying to read commentary books on the Bible along with the books of the Bible as my study time. I really enjoyed reading James, especially since we were also studying it in Bible Study at church. 


14. The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah ***
My friend Kelly recommended this book to me and I am glad I read it, even though it was a little too sad for me (but I also blame that on having just finished The Things We Cannot Say).  It's a story of a small family (dad, mom, daughter) who travel to Alaska (The Great Alone) in the 1970's and how they cope with living off the grid. It's beautifully written and for that I feel like it may deserve more stars from me, but I just couldn't stand how the mother handled every situation. But- it's real life, so I guess it's not always suppose to be rose colored glasses. Either way, I would recommend it (as would/did Kelly)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment