Friday, August 2, 2019

a Florida girl in New Orleans

A few weekends ago Austin and I went to NOLA to celebrate our third wedding anniversary. Even though it was in the heat of summer, it was still an amazing time and an adventure since neither of us have ever been. 
It was also a pretty short trip since neither one of us could get away for too long and it is an 8 hour drive for us to get to the BIG EASY.  But totally worth it.


We did a lot of walking (because parking in French Quarter is insane) and I loved it. Sometimes I really dislike living in a city where you have to drive to get anywhere. 


For the first day/night there we mainly wandered around.  Our hotel was not even a block off of Bourbon street (which was amazing!)! 
When we first arrived our hotel wasn't quite ready and we got stuck in a massive rain shower.  We spent the next couple of hours trying to explore, but without being able to have my phone out for navigation and being completely soaked, I was not a happy camper. I was more than a little overwhelmed and my anxiety kicked in to overdrive. But once we were able to drop off our bags at the hotel and I knew where we were and where we wanted to go, I settled in and my nerves settled (the Hurricanes didn't hurt either).  
We decided for our first night to take a Haunted History Tour (which is a bit different from the ones I've gone on in Savannah and St. Augustine.  A guy that is a part of the Tour company followed the groups around with a cooler of water and beer (amazing).  And on our half way point stop we were able to visit the longest running bar of NOLA (or get a po-boy ice cream sandwich). The fact that the city does not sleep, but continuously party helped around 11 when we wanted dinner. By the way, BEST PO-BOY of my life. 



























We also stopped into BB King's Blues Club for a drink and some good blues music.  I love that Austin took the time to introduce me to the amazingness that is Blues and Jazz.

























During the day to escape the heat (and because we both love learning about WWII) we walked to the WWII Museum. First of all, it is enormous! We were there all afternoon and still didn't feel like we got to see everything. They've done an amazing job with that place.

On our last day, we also stopped at Cafe Du Monde (which I've grown up hearing about).  Their beignets and frozen cafe au lait was absolutely delicious. I wish I could go back for more right now.




For our actual anniversary night we went to the NOLA Ruth's Chris, which was nothing short of fantastic. Another perk to being with Austin, he has taught me more about delicious food that I probably would not have tried without him.  




This sign is from where we got brunch one day, Ruby Slippers (wow, their biscuits!) 

While there is so much about NOLA I loved, I think their architecture is one of my favorite aspects of the city. It's so different and gorgeous. I could stare at it all day. Weird? Maybe, but oh well.
Before we left,  I had to stop by NCIS New Orleans Headquarters (aka a parking lot that filming makes seem like is home to the NOLA Headquarters). I heard that they began filming the next season while we were there, but sadly I didn't run into anyone from the show. Major bummer. 

Ha. Austin thinks its odd that I posted this photo above, but honestly I was so exhausted.  It was our first night in NOLA and it was a long one. 


So all in all, a great trip. I can't wait to go back (Halloween maybe?)

xo,
kel

No comments:

Post a Comment